Friday, September 6, 2013

How Get Money To Fix My Roof

Not a cheap investment.

Finding the amount of money needed to repair your roof can be a tedious task, but unless you are planning to move it's worth the effort to find the necessary funds to fix the damage. It is possible in certain instances to acquire federal funds that do not need to be paid back.


1. Contact the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). Having a low income may mean that you qualify for one of several programs that HUD has available for individuals who need to have their roof or home fixed. Apply for programs, like the HOME program, that support home repairs. Call HUD directly at 800-998-9999, 800-483-2209 for those who are hearing-impaired. Income guidelines can range from $12,550 for a house with one person living there to $63,150 for a household of eight people.

2. Go to the website of the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) to apply for assistance if your roof was devastated in a disaster. FEMA offers help to owners of homes that were damaged in declared disasters. Find out if you qualify for one of these grants, some of which could allow you to completely rebuild your home, by calling 800-621-FEMA.

3. Contact the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). If you have ever been a part of the military, reach out to the VA and take advantage of its many military benefits for owners of property. Keep in mind that aid is possible for people who are not the homeowner of the home as long as they are military veterans. However, to obtain the funds, the veteran must reside in the property after the roof is fixed. Call the VA directly to find out about the Special Housing Adaptations and Specially Adapted Housing programs at 202-461-9546.

4. Apply for a home improvement loan at a financial institution or community Development Corporation (CDC). Homeowners in some areas being targeted for redevelopment sometimes qualify for low- or no-interest loans--or even local, state, federal or foundation grants--to spruce up everyone's view of the neighborhood. Refinancing your home is another option, if you have any equity.

Tags: Call directly, Contact Department, your home, your roof