Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Who Makes The Better Quality A/C Systems



I am adding AC to my house and want to consider a better quality unit...who makes the better quality ACs with strong warranty's? All postings appreciated.

That's a hard question to answer. Almost all major HVAC companies manufacture multiple brands of systems under their corporate umbrella. Some brands are just clones of the parent company (such as Carrier/Bryant, York/Luxaire, or Trane/American Standard) and some brands are significantly different than the flagship brand (Lennox/Armstrong, Carrier/Heil). To complicate things further, almost all brands come in a good/better/best model lineup. You'll find people who swear by (or AT!) Trane, or Carrier, or Lennox, etc. Its like the old Ford/Chevy/Plymouth arguments. The most important thing in a long lasting system is the installation. Even the highest quality unit you can buy will give poor service if its sized and installed incorrectly. Conversly, a value priced brand (such as Goodman) will give good service if sized, installed, and maintained by a conscientious HVAC company. The new high efficiency units require regular servicing, and can't be ignored for years on end like the systems of 30 years ago. I'd recommend you get at least three estimates, and make sure you're comparing apples to apples when reviewing the estimates.

From what I was told there are only 4 companys that make HVAC equiptment. You will pay more money for these names. All others just put thier name on one of the 4.
The quality with HVAC in all in the installation. Proper returns, size, etc.
$ for $ these are used throughout my area and can cost 1/2 of the name brands.
Goodman
Look for installers warranty and not the product.
Also indoor air quality add ons are often overlooked. I see so many people spend thousands for equiptment only to opt for a 1 filter. But you need to way your options. So use up to 200 watts but clean the air 99.7%.
I dont believe in humidifiers. I feel they just add mold and mildew to the ductwork. There are othere ways to add humidity, and more often they are not needed at all.
Goodman
Lifetime Compressor Limited Warranty*
Lifetime Heat Exchanger Limited Warranty*
10-Year Unit Replacement Limited Warranty*
10-Year Parts Limited Warranty*
Mike NJ

Mike,
A was actually looking at goodman........
I see goodman all ove your post....
does goodman make a 5 ton variable speed package with about a 16 seer?

Are you just looking for A/C or heat also?
You can get up to 18 seer. The air handlers are all 3 speed fans. There is one or two with 14 speed variable fan.
Mike NJ

You see goodman all over the post because of they breakdown so much. I'd bett 70% of those issues come from install issues. Good company's. Sell good equipment. Like said install is the key to efficiency and trouple free equipment. Stick with the name brand to take a lot of the jack legs out of the mix

You see goodman all over the post because of they breakdown so much
Just wondering what breaks down on them? Are there statistics somewhere I can read about failures?
I'd bett 70% of those issues come from install issues.
So 30% are mechanic from manufacturing?
Goodman did have no favorable reviews compared to others but that was over 10 years ago.
Mike NJ

Look, I'm very open minded and like to hear all sides.
I can see a good unit when I see one. I'm sure goodman puts out a good unit

Are you adding just a/c? Any ductwork there now? Square ft of house? Floors?
Mike NJ

I am doing Just AC. There is some ductwork. There are over 5000 sq ft on 3 floors and that does not include the basement.

4 companys that make HVAC equipment
Who are the 4 companies that make HVAC equipment?

Carrier, Lennox, Trane, American Standard, Bryant, Rheem.
OK 6.
Mike NJ

Carrier, Lennox, Trane, American Standard, Bryant, Rheem.
no! go here http://www.prestonguide.com/WhereTheyNow.pdf There are more then that, and some of those listed are the same manufacturer.
The brand/model doesn't matter as much a good installation and make sure the contractor does a manual J.

The brand/model doesn't matter as much a good installation and make sure the contractor does a manual J.
Yes thats what I was told by the HVAC rep. All have the same overseas stuff in them. Its the installation. Like I said its Goodman for value around here.
But I read Rheem has a two stage gas valve and are the only one. Is this correct? The OP is doing only A/C though so it doen not matter I guess.
Mike NJ

Mike, not to get off topic......1st.Did you go to the website I listed? Have you ever heard of Preston's guide? Look it up..... the ones I can think of that are all the same with different names on them
-Goodman, Janitrol, Amana
-Rheem, Ruud, Weatherking
-Carrier, Bryant, Payne
-Trane, American Standard
-York, Coleman, and some others that are slipping my mind
-Lennox, Armstrong, Ducane, Air Ease
-Nordyne, Broan, Frigidaire, Kelvinator, Maytag, Nutone, Philco, Tappan,Westinghouse
-Tempstar, Heil, Arcoaire, Comfort Maker, Day and Night, Keeprite
I'm sure there are many others that I'm missing.....
you asked about 2 stage gas valves....ALL MAKES have 2 stage models and 2 stage gas valves. Many even have modulating models and gas valves now.

the ones I can think of that are all the same with different names on them
And when you get down to it how many actually produce the actuall product? I think it was the six I listed. All other equiptment is from one of them no?
I will look up the guide and look around.
Mike NJ

I have 8 different manufactures listed..... you posted
Carrier, Lennox, Trane, American Standard, Bryant, Rheem.
trane makes american standard, Carrier makes bryant.
each line I have listed is the same manufacturer.






Tags: makes, better, quality, systems, American Standard, Carrier Lennox, Limited Warranty, Trane American, Trane American Standard, American Standard Bryant, American Standard Bryant Rheem